Diagnosis of acute appendicitis: Diagnostic scoring and significance of preoperative delay

Näytä kaikki kuvailutiedot

Permalink

http://urn.fi/URN:ISBN:978-951-51-3028-0
Julkaisun nimi: Diagnosis of acute appendicitis: Diagnostic scoring and significance of preoperative delay
Tekijä: Sammalkorpi, Henna
Muu tekijä: Helsingin yliopisto, lääketieteellinen tiedekunta, Clinicum
Opinnäytteen taso: Väitöskirja (artikkeli)
Tiivistelmä: Background and aims: Diagnostic scoring is a method for stratifying patients according to the probability of appendicitis, and therefore works as an excellent basis for a diagnostic algorithm. This study aimed at developing a new diagnostic score, the Adult Appendicitis Score (AAS), and validating its routine use as an integral part of a new diagnostic algorithm. Diagnostic accuracy of the imaging studies depends on the pre-test probability of the disease. This study aimed to assess how accurate the imaging was in various AAS-stratified pre-test probability groups. The effect of in-hospital delay on the risk of perforation is controversial. The research in this thesis aimed to further clarify the matter. Patients and methods: The study enrolled 1737 patients with acute right lower quadrant abdominal pain. The first data collection of 829 patients was used to develop the AAS and compare it with two previously published scores as well as with the clinical assessment. The validation study of AAS enrolled 908 patients in two university hospitals. The negative appendectomy rate was compared between the first and second patient cohort. Patients that had diagnostic imaging were stratified into three probability-of-appendicitis groups according to the AAS, and the diagnostic accuracy of ultrasound (US) and computed tomography (CT) were compared between the score groups. To find the best marker to detect pre-hospital perforations, laboratory results and two previously published diagnostic scores were analyzed. The effects of total duration of symptoms, pre-hospital delay, and in-hospital delay on the risk of perforation were analyzed. Results: After the AAS was developed and incorporated into a new diagnostic algorithm the negative appendectomy rate decreased from 18.2% to 8.2%. With a specificity of 93%, the AAS stratified half of all patients with appendicitis into the high-probability group. The probability of appendicitis was only 7% for the low-probability group. The AAS outperformed both the clinical assessment and two previously published scores. The diagnostic accuracy of imaging depended on the pre-test probability of appendicitis. When compared to the two other groups allocated by the AAS, in the low-probability group a positive CT and US findings yielded lower post-test probability for appendicitis. More false than true positive US results were found in the low-probability group. C-reactive protein (CRP) was the best marker for pre-hospital perforation. For patients with CRP values less than 99 mg/l longer in-hospital delay increased the perforation risk whereas the duration of pre-hospital delay showed no difference between patients with uncomplicated and complicated appendicitis. For patients with CRP values 99 mg/l or more, the in-hospital delay did not increase the perforation risk. Conclusions: The AAS provides an accurate method to stratify patients according to their probability of appendicitis. After the score was implemented into clinical routine, it led to a dramatic reduction in the negative appendectomy rates. When the AAS stratifies the patient to have a low probability of appendicitis, the benefits of imaging are questionable. False positive imaging results can even induce negative appendectomies. Most perforations in acute appendicitis occur as pre-hospital events. However, some of the perforations can be avoided by minimizing the in-hospital delay.Akuutti umpilisäketulehdus on tavallinen äkillisen vatsakivun syy. Vaikka umpilisäketulehduksen oireet ovat hyvin tunnettuja, tehdään edelleen myös turhia leikkauspäätöksiä. Uuden, väitöstutkimuksen yhteydessä kehitetyn, diagnostisen pisteytyksen käyttöönoton havaittiin vähentävän merkittävästi turhien umpilisäkepoistojen osuutta. LL Henna Sammalkorven tuoreessa väitöstutkimuksessa kehitettiin uusi aikuisten potilaiden tutkimisessa hyödynnettävä diagnostinen pisteytys, Adult Appendicitis Score. Pisteytyksellä potilaat, joilla epäillään umpilisäketulehdusta, jaotellaan kolmeen ryhmään umpilisäketulehduksen todennäköisyyden mukaan. Uuden pisteytyksen kehittämistä varten prospektiivisesti kerätty aineisto sisälsi 829 Meilahden sairaalassa umpilisäkkeen tulehduksen epäilyn vuoksi tutkittua potilasta. Aiempaa tarkempi pisteytys luotiin analysoimalla potilaiden oireita, tutkimuslöydöksiä ja laboratoriokoevastauksia. Uusi pisteytys oli tarkempi kuin päivystävien kirurgien arvio tai kumpikaan vertailussa mukana olleista aiemmin julkaistusta pisteytyksistä. Pisteytys on otettu rutiinikäyttöön osana uutta umpilisäkkeen tulehduksen diagnostista ohjeistusta Meilahden sairaalassa. Pisteytyksen käytän vaikutusta diagnostiikan tarkkuuteen tutkittiin 908 potilaan aineistossa Meilahdessa ja Kuopion Yliopistollisessa Sairalassa. Ennen uuden pisteytyksen käyttöönottoa 18,2 prosentissa Meilahden sairaalassa umpilisäkkeen tulehduksen epäilyn vuoksi tehdyissä leikkauksissa umpilisäke ei ollut tulehtunut. Uuden pisteytyksen käyttöönoton jälkeen luku laski 8,2 prosenttiin , Henna Sammalkorpi kuvaa tilannetta. Uuden pisteytyksen ohella tutkimuksessa selvitettiin sairaalaan saapumisen ja umpilisäkkeen poiston välisen aikavälin vaikutusta puhkeamariskiin. Tutkimuksessaan LL Henna Sammalkorpi havaitsi, että umpilisäkkeen puhkeaman todennäköisyyttä parhaiten kuvaava muuttuja on C-reaktiivinen proteiini, CRP. Potilailla, joiden CRP oli yli 99 jo sairaalaan tullessa, ei sairaalassa aiheutunut viive lisännyt puhkeaman todennäköisyyttä, sillä umpilisäke oli todennäköisimmin jo puhjennut ennen sairaalaan tuloa. Niillä potilaista, joiden CRP oli alle 99 sairaalassa aiheutunut viive lisäsi puhkeamariskiä. Mikäli sairaalassaoloaika ennen leikkausta kasvoi alle 6 tunnista yli 12 tuntiin, puhkeamariski kaksinkertaistui. Näin ollen osalla potilaista puhkeama voidaan välttää tarjoamalla potilaille viivytyksetöntä diagnostiikkaa ja hoitoa.
URI: URN:ISBN:978-951-51-3028-0
http://hdl.handle.net/10138/179225
Päiväys: 2017-04-28
Avainsanat: lääketiede, vatsaelinkirurgia
Tekijänoikeustiedot: Julkaisu on tekijänoikeussäännösten alainen. Teosta voi lukea ja tulostaa henkilökohtaista käyttöä varten. Käyttö kaupallisiin tarkoituksiin on kielletty.


Tiedostot

Latausmäärä yhteensä: Ladataan...

Tiedosto(t) Koko Formaatti Näytä
DIAGNOSI.pdf 1.291MB PDF Avaa tiedosto

Viite kuuluu kokoelmiin:

Näytä kaikki kuvailutiedot