A DNA barcode-based survey of terrestrial arthropods in the Society Islands of French Polynesia : host diversity within the SymbioCode Project

Visa fullständig post



Permalänk

http://hdl.handle.net/10138/181079

Citation

Ramage , T , Martins-Simoes , P , Mialdea , G , Allemand , R , Duplouy , A , Rousse , P , Davies , N , Roderick , G K & Charlat , S 2017 , ' A DNA barcode-based survey of terrestrial arthropods in the Society Islands of French Polynesia : host diversity within the SymbioCode Project ' , European Journal of Taxonomy , vol. 272 , pp. 1-13 . https://doi.org/10.5852/ejt.2017.272

Titel: A DNA barcode-based survey of terrestrial arthropods in the Society Islands of French Polynesia : host diversity within the SymbioCode Project
Författare: Ramage, Thibault; Martins-Simoes, Patricia; Mialdea, Gladys; Allemand, Roland; Duplouy, Anne; Rousse, Pascal; Davies, Neil; Roderick, George K.; Charlat, Sylvain
Upphovmannens organisation: Biosciences
Centre of Excellence in Metapopulation Research
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Datum: 2017-02-07
Språk: eng
Sidantal: 13
Tillhör serie: European Journal of Taxonomy
ISSN: 2118-9773
DOI: https://doi.org/10.5852/ejt.2017.272
Permanenta länken (URI): http://hdl.handle.net/10138/181079
Abstrakt: We report here on the taxonomic and molecular diversity of 10 929 terrestrial arthropod specimens, collected on four islands of the Society Archipelago, French Polynesia. The survey was part of the 'SymbioCode Project' that aims to establish the Society Islands as a natural laboratory in which to investigate the flux of bacterial symbionts (e.g., Wolbachia) and other genetic material among branches of the arthropod tree. The sample includes an estimated 1127 species, of which 1098 included at least one DNA-barcoded specimen and 29 were identified to species level using morphological traits only. Species counts based on molecular data emphasize that some groups have been understudied in this region and deserve more focused taxonomic effort, notably Diptera, Lepidoptera and Hymenoptera. Some taxa that were also subjected to morphological scrutiny reveal a consistent match between DNA and morphology-based species boundaries in 90% of the cases, with a larger than expected genetic diversity in the remaining 10%. Many species from this sample are new to this region or are undescribed. Some are under description, but many await inspection by motivated experts, who can use the online images or request access to ethanol-stored specimens.
Subject: Arthropods
DNA barcoding
French Polynesia
Moorea BioCode
SymbioCode
HYMENOPTERA
ACULEATA
RECORD
TREES
1181 Ecology, evolutionary biology
Referentgranskad: Ja
Licens: cc_by
Användningsbegränsning: openAccess
Parallelpublicerad version: publishedVersion


Filer under denna titel

Totalt antal nerladdningar: Laddar...

Filer Storlek Format Granska
Ramage_et_al_2017.pdf 499.7Kb PDF Granska/Öppna

Detta dokument registreras i samling:

Visa fullständig post