Up-front rituximab maintenance improves outcome in patients with follicular lymphoma : a collaborative Nordic study

Show full item record



Permalink

http://hdl.handle.net/10138/299379

Citation

Madsen , C , Clausen , M R , Plesner , T L , Pasanen , A , Kuismanen , T , Bentzen , H H , Jorgensen , J M , Sillesen , I B , Himmelstrup , B M , Ronnov-Jessen , D , Jensen , K R , Pettinger , A M , Ludvigsen , M , Leppa , S & d'Amore , F A 2018 , ' Up-front rituximab maintenance improves outcome in patients with follicular lymphoma : a collaborative Nordic study ' , Blood advances , vol. 2 , no. 13 , pp. 1562-1571 . https://doi.org/10.1182/bloodadvances.2018017673

Title: Up-front rituximab maintenance improves outcome in patients with follicular lymphoma : a collaborative Nordic study
Author: Madsen, C.; Clausen, M. R.; Plesner, T. L.; Pasanen, A.; Kuismanen, T.; Bentzen, H. H.; Jorgensen, J. M.; Sillesen, I. B.; Himmelstrup, B. M.; Ronnov-Jessen, D.; Jensen, K. R.; Pettinger, A. M.; Ludvigsen, M.; Leppa, S.; d'Amore, F. A.
Contributor: University of Helsinki, Department of Oncology
University of Helsinki, Department of Oncology
Date: 2018-07-10
Language: eng
Number of pages: 10
Belongs to series: Blood advances
ISSN: 2473-9529
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/10138/299379
Abstract: The introduction of the anti-CD20 antibody rituximab in combination with chemotherapy (R-chemo) has improved the prognosis of patients with follicular lymphoma (FL). During the last decade, the addition of a maintenance treatment with rituximab (MR) after R-chemo has been tested with the hope of further improving the outcome of these patients. Using 2 independent population-based cohorts, we investigated the effect of up-front MR on time related end points as well as the risk of histological transformation (HT). FL patients were included if they: (1) completed first-line induction treatment with R-chemo, (2) were alive after induction treatment and eligible for MR, and (3) had no evidence of HT at this time point. The training cohort consisted of 733 Danish patients of whom 364 were consolidated with MR; 369 were not. Patients receiving MR more often had advanced clinical stage (90% vs 78%), high Follicular Lymphoma International Prognostic Index (FLIPI) score (64% vs 55%), and bone marrow infiltration (49% vs 40%). Those consolidated with MR had an improved 5-year overall survival (OS; 89% vs 81%; P = .001) and progression-free survival (PFS; 72% vs 60%; P <.001). In the training cohort, MR was associated with a reduction of HT risk (P = .049). Analyses of an independent validation cohort of 190 Finnish patients confirmed the favorable impact of MR on 5-year OS (89% vs 81%; P = .046) and PFS (70% vs 57%; P = .005) but did not find a reduced risk of HT. The present population-based data suggest that the outcome of patients with FL has improved after consolidation of R-chemo with MR.
Subject: 1ST-LINE TREATMENT
PHASE-III
LOW-GRADE
PSEUDO-OBSERVATIONS
UNITED-STATES
HISTOLOGICAL TRANSFORMATION
NATIONAL LYMPHOCARE
COMPETING RISKS
ADVANCED-STAGE
SURVIVAL
3122 Cancers
Rights:


Files in this item

Total number of downloads: Loading...

Files Size Format View
untitled.pdf 1.030Mb PDF View/Open

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record